First, a trip down memory lane. Remember this:
Our basement bathroom in its wall-paneled and carpeting glory. Seriously untouched since the 70s.
And remember this? My inspiration image:
And now are you ready for how it turned out?
I am pretty dang pleased with it. We ordered a soaking tub off of amazon (and got it Prime!), custom ordered a sink cabinet, ordered 3 wrong faucets before getting one that worked the way we wanted, and installed my favorite toilet. Yes, I have a favorite toilet. But I’ll go into the details in my next post.
Some of you may remember where I left off with my big summer project of 2014. Well, I did eventually finish that project but I never got around to blogging about it. In case you need a reminder, we left off here.
Remember how I said I knew my limits and we were going to hire someone to do the in-slab plumbing? Well, we got a few quotes and hired someone to do this:
I’m glad we did because it required a jackhammer, and digging, and good plumbing skills. But the whole thing also reminded me why I hate hiring people. Because although they agreed they would patch the floor and make it flush for a vinyl floor installation, it was left like this instead:
See, they filled in the holes with concrete but it was very rough and slightly sunken. So I called them out and pointed out my concerns about not having a smooth flush floor like we agreed on. They attempted to make things right by pouring self leveling concrete over their first attempt. They had me “approve” it while wet, and it looked good when wet, but once it dried it was obvious there was a huge lip were the self leveling concrete ended- something that could have been addressed while wet but I didn’t know to do it. Eventually I decided it wasn’t worth fighting with them over anymore and I would just fix it myself. That way I’d get a good floor that I’d be happy with. So before the concrete fullly cured, I tried a few things to try and address the issues. What worked? My sander and some water:
Obviously, sanding with water is called wet sanding and all the water does is keep the dust from flying into the air. It made a bit of a mess on the walls, and I don’t think my sander was technically made to operate with a slightly wet surface, but it worked out and after a few hours and several sanding pads we had a pretty smooth floor to work with:
Then paint could suddenly go on the walls, new flooring on the floor, and we could start installing fixtures- the bathroom was coming together fast. Really fast.
I recently bought a used leather couch for use at my dining room table. It is wonderful! But I got a great deal on it because it was used, and it was not in perfect condition:
The leather was pretty beat up. So I decided to try and repair it.
First, I cleaned the leather. First with a brush and a little dish soap. Then, for the more damaged areas, I also cleaned it with saddle soap. Then I ordered a leather color and repair kit from amazon. I was hesitant to try and mix a color to match, but I figured it was worth a try. I mixed up the compound, didn’t think the color was perfect but tried it anyway. It worked AWESOME!
The right side has been treated, the left side has not. Pretty cool, if you ask me… and now my dining table couch is even more perfect.